Monday, June 18, 2012

A great week is gone

After a nice week at the IGMA Guild School in Castine I'm back home.

We had a nice tour from Castine to Boston. The most fascinating sight on the tour was those creatures.

 Atlantic Horseshoe Crabs. I had never seen them in real before.

One was lying on the shore so after having taken a photo I gently moved her or him around and she/he crawled into the water. I wasn't sure about the tail was dangerous like an scorpion. Later I found out it wasn't :-)

Well, back home I wen't to the garden for removing some of the weeds. When doing that I heard the sound of buzzing bees. Has my neighbour got a beehive ?

No. It was this plant that was filled with bees. (I don't know the name.)

There was hundreds.


Lessons learned at the GuildSchool: Carving a lot. I took both of the classes given by Ann High. She was a very good teacher so we learned a lot.


24 hour class: 16th Century Carved Chest (with a little extras :-)


12 hour class: 16th Century Boarded Stool with Pierced Tracery

And a little extra just for fun

Next is to try out the new tool I brought home. A Jim Byrnes drum sander.
I made a drum sander many years ago but it has two big faults. The sandpaper is glued to the drum so changing isn't easy and it doesn't have an easy way to collect the dust so sanding is a mess. So this new thickness sander is a nice supplement to my Proxxon Thicknesser for preparing wood.

Have fun
Niels

PS: A photo trick. I use a black granite tile to get the mirror effect.

1 comment:

  1. First, what wonderful creatures you've seen!! Amazing they are still the same as when they first appeared on earth, millions and millions of years ago so I've heard.
    Secondly, your buzzing beehive is a climbing Hydrangea
    http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/climbers/other-climbers/classid.1665/
    Gorgeous rambler if given the freedom and space, as can be seen in your (neighboring?) garden.
    Your class results looked fantastic, especially the little extra's! They are no secret to me anymore :)) Thanks for sharing them.
    And finally my sincere congratulations on your latest purchase. Seems there is no better drum sander then Byrnes. Have fun with it!

    And yah, now it's all over again...:(

    ReplyDelete