Sunday, May 27, 2012

If you don't like...

what you see! Scratch it!

During the last week I had all excuses to myself for not going to the workshop because I didn't like the ongoing project.

I found too many imperfections so I'll start all over.

Have fun

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Top dawer section

Took the change to cut the legs to nearly desired length and started shaping of legs. Despite cutting freehand all the legs touched the floor. Well a little more will be cut off later.

One of the top corners.
And then to my grief I discovered that I had forgotten to mirror the sides

A new side was made.

And then when dry assembling the four sides I remembered a small but important detail of the top section.

Drawing of wrong side

Here is the right drawing

 Spot the difference?

At the bottom the tails is visible and at the top the pins is visible. That makes sense when assembling a realsize cabinet.   Because that way the top is lowered onto the cabinet. 

I'm running out of wood.  All the dovetails is hidden behind  the moldings 


Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Moving forward

A little progress

Sidepanels before assembly. All the mortises in the legs made a little trouble. Actually I had to make 2 more legs because I cut in wrong places.

Lower with internal drawer dividers
And with drawers.

The postman came with this.
That's a replacement of the photo process for making brass fittings. I haven't tried the method yet but it sounds promising.

The design is printed on the tonertransfer paper (left) and then the print is placed on the brass sheet and heated in a laminator or with an iron. The toner from the laserprinter is then transferred onto the brass and after washing the paper off in water the brass is ready to etch. Of course the image has to be transferred to both sides of the brass else the design is etched away :-)

More to follow

Have fun

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cabriole legs

After a little trial and erroring I managed to make four perfect legs for the highboy.

Leared from previous experience and forgotten again :-)

Jigs is a must. 

So a special jig was made for mounting legblanks in the milling machine and then the legs came out as I wanted them.

The blocks on the ends will be cut off when the mortices for drawerdividers and sidepanels has been cut, By keeping the blocks I have absolute control over locations.

Below is the same leg in three different  scales.
Top down; 1/12, 1/24 and 1/48 scale.

Have fun

Thursday, May 3, 2012


All the drawers glued up
Another view
 And from the side
Next is the lower part with the cabriole legs.

When drawing the legs it came to my mind that the cutters I use can't cut the full depth of the wood. The largest size cutter I normaly use is 1.0mm and it can only cut 7mm depth and the leg requires 10mm.
Looking through my drawers I found a forgotten 2mm cutter and I just had to try it out.

Looks al right!
So now I can go on with the drawings for the legs

Some may ask. Why just scale up the old drawings? Well it is not possible because when working in the smaller scales some details is ignored either because they can't be done in the small scale or they can't be seen at all. 

Have fun

Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Made all the drawerfronts today.

And from the backside.

The first photo shows a little design error! There is more space between the lower drawers than between the upper drawers. Since the photo was taken I made a new top center drawer. 0.6mm smaller.

Then I did something I haven't done before. I applied pore filler on all the fronts. In previous projects surfaces was done as the last step.

Test assembly of drawer no 1 and 3. Top and bottom view.
Now nine more drawers to do.

Have fun

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spring cleanup and scaling up

Yesterday was spend with a little spring cleanup. My trusty Proxxon DH-40 Thicknesser needs a new set of cutters.

At the same time all the old shavings was removed from the inside.

A few years ago I made a small modification to the covers because the way they are designed the inside of the machine is filled with shavings very fast.

Here is a photo I took back then.  Result of all the shavings was that the horizontal drive belt was totally destroyed.

Here is where the shavings is entering the inside.

And the other side.

The solution was to make covers from perspex.
And the other side.
Yesterday I only found some very fine dust inside easily vacuumed away. Now the thicknesser is ready for preparing wood to be used in the next projects.

I have started a new project. The Queen Anne Highboy again but this time in scale 1/12.
This is drawer number 1.
 It is huge compared to my previous projects.

Have fun